Recently we’ve noticed a good amount of people confusing Google Local Ads (GLAs) / Google Guaranteed with general Google Search Ads. As it turns out, the 2 are completely different services!

The best way to showcase each of the 2 Google services is with a simple screenshot example. After punching in 4 letters into Google – “hvac”, here are the results Google provide in Chicago:

Google Guaranteed and Google Search Ads

#1 – The top 3 sponsored listings with the snazzy “Google Guaranteed” budge are considered the Google Guaranteed ads

#2 – The bottom 3 listings are the general Google Search Ads

How the heck are Google Ads different from Google Local or Guaranteed?

Google Guaranteed & Google Local Ads are one of the newer products introduced by Google. This type of an ad can be very convenient & effective for local businesses. 

Once a company has been registered as an advertiser – Google provides the end user with an all-in-one dashboard. Based on the information provided about the business, Google decides which search queries are the most relevant to the services provided & places your ad there. No website or landing page necessary to get this party started.

This is also a Pay-Per-Lead service, rather than Pay-Per-Click – which makes it very attractive to a lot of businesses. Google provides advertisers with a nice dashboard that contains the most important information about performance.

Here’s what the general reporting section looks like:

Google dashboard

And on top of this – advertisers also have access to the leads report that contains the information about the people that called or submitted a form.

Leads Report

While all this sounds great; there are downsides to GLAs / Google Guaranteed ads:

  • Advertisers have very little control over advertising, other than geographic targeting, ad schedule, budgets & bids;
  • There are no data points on competition or their performance;
  • Most importantly; if things go well – no one knows why. If things aren’t working that well – no one also knows why as well.

This sounds awesome! Why should I advertise with regular Google Search Ads?

If you’re reading this article, I will just assume that you already know how Google Ads work. You pick your keywords, write ad creatives, select where to send the traffic to & voila, leads!

But to answer the question – don’t put all of your eggs in one basket. Or, actually, get a lot more eggs to put in your basket by doing both! 

If we look back to the screenshot from the beginning of the article; look at the “Perfect Home Services” company! They are absolutely crushing their competition by double serving their ads. Wouldn’t you love to own over 33% of the above-the-fold real estate for the highest searched service keywords?

Do both to win more business!

With Google search ads, your best case scenario would be to capture and turn up to 10% of ALL impressions into clicks. That leaves over 90% of underutilized traffic that is given directly to your competitors. 

Meanwhile, the early research shows that Google Local Ads / Google Guaranteed account for about 20-33% of the clicks. 

Can you dominate & take all 100% of the available clicks? No. But it sure can boost your presence on Google by a landmark! 

What types of businesses can qualify for Google Local / Google Guaranteed advertising?

Here’s the full list of business types that are currently eligible (list might get extended by Google over time):

  • Appliance repair services
  • Architecture services
  • Bankruptcy lawyer services
  • Business lawyer services
  • Carpet cleaning services
  • Carpenters
  • Cleaning services
  • Contract lawyer services
  • Criminal lawyer services
  • Countertop services
  • Disability lawyer services
  • DUI lawyer services
  • Electricians
  • Estate lawyer services
  • Event planning services
  • Family lawyer services
  • Fencing services
  • Financial planning services
  • Flooring services
  • Foundations services
  • Garage door services
  • HVAC (heating or air conditioning)
  • Immigration lawyer services
  • Interior designers
  • IP lawyer services
  • Junk removal services
  • Labor lawyer services
  • Landscaping services
  • Lawn care services
  • Litigation lawyer services
  • Locksmiths
  • Malpractice lawyer services
  • Movers
  • Personal injury lawyer services
  • Pest control services
  • Photographers
  • Plumbers
  • Real estate lawyer
  • Real estate services
  • Roofers
  • Siding services
  • Tax services
  • Traffic lawyer services
  • Tree services
  • Videographers
  • Water damage services
  • Window cleaning services
  • Window repair services

It’s time to take your business to the next level!

That being said –  if you’re looking to advertise your business on Google more effectively, feel free to reach out to us to schedule a consultation, or, get a free proposal to see how Best PPC can help your business!

Be the first to write a comment.

Your feedback